Delivering M/Y TARANSAY last year, yacht builder Rossinavi definitely entered naval history, reviving the elegant lines of a classic gentleman?s motor yacht from the 1930s with all modern comforts and state-of-the art shipbuilding technologies.
Rossinavi?s Taransay is the accurate reproduction of the eponymous historic vessel that was designed by G. L. Watson Naval Architects in Scotland for a yachtsman from Glasgow. The first Taransay was built in Aberdeen by Hull Russell & Co. and launched in April 1930. This elegant pleasure vessel was requisitioned during World War II and served as a Royal Navy danlayer and minesweeper depot ship until 1945. Exactly 85 years after the launching of the original, on 18 April 2015, the new Taransay touched water at Rossinavi?s shipyard in Viareggio.
Beyond the obvious eye-catching elegance of the yacht, the end result is a perfect combination of tradition and technology, offering comfort and functionality. With a steel hull and aluminum superstructure, Taransay is actually a modern vessel with classic looks. The old-fashioned wheelhouse has an an aluminum structure all covered in wood. For all the chandlery and fittings on board, Rossinavi has substituted the usual stainless steel with Nibral, a highly resistant alloy notably used to produce propellers. The bronzed effect of the deck fittings and equipment contribute to give the yacht her a true oldtimer?s elegance.
This article was first published in Yacht Style magazine.